$125,000 in grants to commemorate 125 years of women’s suffrage in SA awarded
The State Government has awarded $125,000 in grants to 28 organisations to commemorate and celebrate the 125th anniversary of women’s suffrage in South Australia.
Organisations were awarded grants of up to $5,000.
Activities to commemorate the anniversary include public events, community engagement forums, research projects and artwork displays and demonstrations across South Australia such as:
- The Penneshaw Progress Association will use its grant to celebrate women’s suffrage with an evening of cocktails and comedy, setting up information boards about women’s suffrage and how the women of Kangaroo Island have progressed over the past 125 years.
- The Australian Migrant Resource Centre will sponsor eight young women, representing new and emerging communities in South Australia, to participate in the 2019 Youth Parliament.
- The YMCA of South Australia will host an event with keynote speakers and interactive stalls to highlight the incredible amount of campaigning involved in winning the vote for women, and will provide an opportunity for women to share their experiences of democracy.
- The Gladys Elphick Awards Committee will screen a documentary of the story of life of Aboriginal activist, Aunty Gladys Elphick.
- The Royal Adelaide Show will host daily demonstrations by female artists in 2019 to encourage public participation, celebrating women of all backgrounds and the 125th anniversary of women’s suffrage in SA.
Applications were sought for initiatives, events or programs that would publicly promote, encourage engagement and increase awareness of democracy and the 125th anniversary of women’s suffrage in South Australia.
Grants were awarded to applications who were organising initiatives that would engage with women who live in rural and regional areas, are culturally and linguistically diverse, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, older, younger, identify as LGBTIQ or are living with disability.
A calendar, and more information about women’s suffrage is available at on the Office for Women website.
For anyone hosting an event or activity to celebrate the anniversary, email SAsuffrage125@sa.gov.au to be added to the calendar.Page last updated : 12 Aug 2021