Department of Human Services

Start of main content.

Re-establishment grants up to $10000 for bushfire residents


Eligible South Australians who are uninsured and have had their principal residence damaged by bushfires can apply for grants of up to $10,000 to help them re-establish their homes.

The payments can be used to help repair bushfire damaged homes or replace essential household items.

While many people affected by the Cudlee Creek, Kangaroo Island and Gawler/Angle Vale fires will be covered by their insurance policies, these new grants are intended for people who are uninsured or under-insured.

The payments are available only to those persons who meet the following criteria:

  • Their primary residence has been damaged
  • They meet an income test
  • Their losses are not being met by insurance, compensation or other assistance measures
  • The structure/dwelling component of the grant can only be paid to owner-occupiers
  • The essential household and personal item component may be paid to owner-occupiers or tenants.

People can apply for these grants at the Emergency Relief Centres at Highbury and Mt Barker.

Assistance is being provided under the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements. The SA Housing Authority will administer the grants under its Emergency Relief arrangements.

For more information on eligibility and how to apply, phone the SA Recovery Hotline on 1800 302 787 (8.00 am to 8.00 pm).

The latest recovery information for the SA bushfires.

Page last updated : 12 Aug 2021

This site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 Licence. © Copyright 2021 DHS .[sm v5.5.6.6]