9.3 Terms of Reference
The Safeguarding Task Force is a Task Force to examine the current gaps in oversight and safeguarding for people living with disability in South Australia.
The Task Force is co-chaired by Disability Advocate Dr David Caudrey and Disability Rights Advocate Kelly Vincent. Membership will include people with lived experience of disability, family members, a service provider as well as relevant government agencies, including the acting Principal Community Visitor Anne Gale.
The Task Force will consider gaps in safeguarding arrangement for people with disabilities in South Australia arising from the policies and practices of:
- the National Disability Insurance Agency
- the NDIS Quality and Safeguards Commission
- State Government instrumentalities.
The Task Force seeks to consider the gaps from a developmental, preventative and corrective perspective.
The Task Force will provide written reports including recommendations to the State Government regarding areas that need to be addressed urgently in order to safeguard South Australian citizens with disability.
- Brief Task Force members prior to the first scheduled meeting.
- Seek information and advice from Task Force members, their networks and from other people who contribute to the Task Force deliberations
- Collate all information received and identify themes for rectifying policy and procedures for safeguarding
- Prepare and submit an interim report with urgent recommendations by 15 June 2020
- Prepare and submit a final report with full recommendations by 31 July 2020.
The Safeguarding Task Force is comprised of:
- David Caudrey, Disability Advocate (Co-chair)
- Kelly Vincent, Disability Rights Advocate (Co-chair)
- Sam Paior, Founder and Director, The Growing Space
- Trevor Harrison, Disability Advocate
- Jacky Chant, Disability Advocate
- Karen Rogers, Project Lead, Our Voice
- Marj Ellis, Chief Executive Officer, Lighthouse Disability
- Richard Bruggemann, Authorising Officer, Attorney-General’s Department
- Anne Gale, Public Advocate and Acting Principal Community Visitor
- Adam Kilvert, Executive Director, Attorney-General’s Department
- Cassie Mason, Director, Office for Ageing Well, SA Health
- Lois Boswell, Acting Chief Executive Department of Human Services.
The meetings will be held via Microsoft Teams on:
- Wednesday 27 May 2020 at 4:30 pm
- Wednesday 10 June 2020 at 4:30pm
- Wednesday 15 July 2020 at 4:30pm.
Agenda and Papers
The Safeguarding Task Force agenda, with attached meeting papers, will be distributed at least 5 days prior to each scheduled meeting.
Minutes and Actions
The minutes of each Safeguarding Task Force meeting will be prepared by the Secretariat which will comprise Diane Holty and Sandra Wallis from the Office of the Public Advocate.
Minutes will be circulated in draft to each member of the Task Force prior to the next meeting and approved at that meeting subject to any modifications deemed necessary.
The Co-chairs are required to provide a preliminary report to Cabinet by 15 June 2020 and a final report to Cabinet by 31 July 2020. A draft of the preliminary report will be prepared for the Task Force meeting on 10 June 2020 and a draft of the final report on 15 July 2020.
David Caudrey (Disability Advocate) and Kelly Vincent (Disability Rights Advocate)Page last updated : 01 Aug 2020