- Accommodation services
- Contacts and locations
- DHS DAIP
- Disability at sa.gov.au
- Equipment Program
- Engagement and consultation
- Highgate Park
- Independent Living Centre
- Restrictive practices legislation
- Safe Work Instructions
Information for families and friends of the people we support 6 April 2021
Information for families and friends of the people we support
Update as at 9 April 2021
Accommodation Services is providing an update on its rollout of COVID-19 vaccinations to the people we support.
This follows Federal Government acceptance of recommendations overnight that, in Australia, Pfizer is preferred over AstraZeneca for adults aged under 50 years who have not already received a vaccination.
The people we support in Adelaide and Kadina, who consented to a COVID-19 vaccination, have already received the AstraZeneca vaccine with no adverse reactions*.
Current vaccine rollout plans
In close consultation with SA Health, the Department of Human Services (DHS) has decided at this time that in keeping with new advice the people we support who have received their first dose of AstraZeneca without report of adverse reactions will be offered their second dose as planned from DHS.
New vaccine recommendations
The Australian Government has accepted recommendations following a review of the use of the AstraZeneca vaccine by the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) and the Therapeutic Goods Administration.
The recommendations and reasoning are detailed in ATAGI’s statement about COVID-19 vaccines. At the current time, ATAGI recommends:
- The Pfizer (Comirnaty) vaccine is preferred over AstraZeneca for adults aged under 50 years.
- AstraZeneca vaccine can be used in adults aged under 50 years where the benefits are likely to outweigh the risks for that individual and who has made an informed decision based on an understanding of the risks and benefits.
- People who have had the first dose of AstraZeneca without any serious adverse effects can be given the second dose, including adults under 50 years.
DHS will continue to monitor updates and keep you informed. If you would like to speak to anyone about an individual’s circumstances, please email AccomFeedback@sa.gov.au or phone 1800 952 962 (dial 3). The National Vaccine Helpline is also available on 1800 020 080.
*Mount Gamier families, please note that the people we support there were administered Pfizer’s (Comirnaty) vaccine from SA Health’s stocks at the local Mount Gambier Hospital vaccination hub.