South Australian Housing Trust
- SA Housing Trust Board
- Housing design guidelines
- Housing SA Blueprint
- Rent Reports
- Connecting People to Place
- Housing Trust policies
- Homelessness Providers
Short Term Housing Program policy
The purpose of this policy
The Short Term Housing Program provides short term housing for people who are experiencing a severe housing crisis.
This policy sets out:
- who is eligible
- the requirements of the program
- how tenancies are managed.
People can't apply for the Short Term Housing Program. Housing SA may refer a person to this program if they meet all of the below:
- they are eligible for public housing
- they are experiencing a severe housing crisis
- they can't access other appropriate housing - eg renting privately, living with family or friends.
People must meet both of the below before they can be offered a property:
- they arrange to repay any Housing SA debt they have
- they agree to participate in a case plan that sets out short and long term goals, and strategies to address them during their tenancy.
Housing SA will offer the tenant a short term lease agreement, also known as the Conditions of Tenancy, for between four to six months, depending on the tenant's circumstances.
Housing SA will review the tenancy at least four weeks before the end of the lease agreement. The review will determine if the goals agreed to in the case plan have been met, if more time is needed to meet the goals, and determine the next course of action. This can include:
- their lease ends
- they are offered another short term lease agreement
- they register for public, Aboriginal or community housing
- they are helped to access accommodation in the private rental market.
Managing the tenancy
Housing SA manages short term tenancies in line with other Housing SA policies, including:
Tenants can't apply for a transfer. Housing SA may initiate a transfer if:
- there is concern for the household's safety
- the property is needed for other purposes - eg redevelopment.
Related laws, policies and documents
This policy is based on and complies with:
Related policies and other documents
- Short Term Housing Conditions of Tenancy
- Short Term Housing Program guidelines v 6.4
Date this policy applies from
29 March 2016
The online version of the policy is the approved and current version. There is no guarantee that any printed copies are current.