Volunteering is a vital part of the South Australian way of life — generating great community spirit and helping to make our neighbourhoods welcoming, safe and inclusive.
We provide strategic policy advice to the South Australian government about issues affecting volunteers and help the Minister for Human Services maintain a high rate of people doing formal and informal volunteering in South Australia.
We also play a key role in implementing the Volunteering Strategy for South Australia 2021–2027, which was developed in collaboration with Business SA, the state government, the Local Government Association of South Australia, and Volunteering SA&NT. Through this partnership, we work with the volunteer community to create a variety of resources, programs and events to help support and develop volunteering in South Australia.
Download the Volunteering Strategy for South Australia (PDF 835.6 KB) document or alternative Easy Read Version (PDF 7 MB).
Volunteering Strategy for South Australia
The Volunteering Strategy for South Australia is a ‘world first’ partnership agreement that has been collaboratively developed, is sector-led, and has cross-sector support.Visit Volunteering Strategy for SA
Second Volunteering Strategy for South Australia
To build on the first strategy’s success and to shape the future of volunteering in South Australia, the State Government has committed to supporting the strategy partnership into a second stage from 2021 to 2027.
Throughout 2020-21, a statewide two-stage sector consultation process was conducted with the results informing the direction of the second Volunteering Strategy for South Australia.
The Volunteering Strategy for South Australia 2021–2027 was developed in partnership by
- the Government of South Australia
- Business SA
- the Local Government Association of South Australia and
- Volunteering SA&NT.
The 2021-2027 Strategy aims to:
- build the capacity of volunteer-involving organisations to engage, train, support and retain volunteers, including young volunteers
- support organisations to develop effective practices, structure, governance and training opportunities for volunteers
- promote the benefits of volunteering to encourage greater participation
- improve the experience of our volunteers
- foster continuous improvement through partnerships and collaboration between sectors to sustain volunteering.
The Volunteering Strategy for South Australia 2021–2027 was launched by the Minister for Human Services on Monday 17 May 2021 in National Volunteer Week.
The 2021-2027 Strategy will be supported by two year action plans developed in ongoing consultation with the not for profit sector.