- Accommodation services
- Disability access and inclusion plans
- Contacts and locations
- Continence Resource Centre
Dignity in Care Principles
- Zero tolerance of all forms of abuse - principle 1
- Support with respect - principle 2
- Personalised care - principle 3
- Enable people to maintain independence - principle 4
- Listen to and support people to express their needs and wants - principle 5
- Respect people's privacy - principle 6
- Receive complaints without retribution - principle 7
- Engage with family members and carers - principle 8
- Confidence and positive self-esteem - principle 9
- Alleviate people’s loneliness and isolation - principle 10
- Disability Information Service
- Disability SA
- Disability Support Services
- Domiciliary Equipment Service
- Engagement and consultation
- Future Changes
- Highgate Park
- Independent Living Centre
- NDIS Reform and Services
- State Disability Inclusion Plan
Independent Living Centre
The Independent Living Centre (ILC) provides professional and unbiased information and advice on equipment, technology and techniques to help people improve their quality of life and maintain their independence.
The Independent Living Centre is staffed by occupational therapists, a registered nurse and an allied health assistant. Our services are available to everyone, including:
- people with disability, injury or illness
- community groups
- health professionals
Phone or email us for individualised advice. A staff member will answer your questions, and provide guidance and information. See our contact details below.
We provide information and advice about equipment, technology and techniques to assist with everyday tasks, including:
- bathroom and toileting equipment
- building fixtures and design for access
- clothing and dressing
- communication aids
- computer and vocational aids
- eating and drinking utensils
- equipment and service resources
- household and kitchen equipment
- lifting, transferring, ramps and hoists
- mobility/walking aids
- personal alert systems
- telephone access
- transport ideas and vehicle modifications
We provide advice on equipment hire, loan and purchase.
Written product information is available, including a description of the item, supplier details and approximate cost.
Our equipment catalogue of product information and services is available online by visiting the ILC Australia website. Products can be searched at both a local and national level.
Equipment is on display at the centre for the public to view. Health professionals are available by appointment. Brochures, information sheets and product information are also available.
Appointments are available Monday to Friday between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm.
Education and training
Our staff can provide equipment displays, talks and demonstrations for community groups and exhibitions. We provide professional development and information workshops on equipment and related topics to health professionals and educational facilities. Contact us for fee and topic information, and to make a booking.
Country outreach service
We provide a free advisory service to rural and remote South Australia in a wheelchair-accessible caravan, allowing you to view and trial a range of equipment and discuss your needs with an occupational therapist.
No appointments are necessary.
See our outreach calendar online or phone us to find out when we are next visiting your area.
Information sheets to assist with everyday tasks are available on the Government of South Australia website.
Continence Resource Centre
The Continence Resource Centre is a statewide continence information and advisory service located at the Independent Living Centre.
The Independent Living Centre
11 Blacks Road
Gilles Plains SA 5086
Opening hours: 9.00 am to 5.00 pm, Monday to Friday (closed public holidays) for self-guided viewing.
Call during opening hours to make an appointment for times between 10.00 am and 4.00 pm, Monday to Friday, if you need staff to help you.
Enquiry line: 9.00 am to 4.00 pm, Monday to Friday except on public holidays.
Phone: 1300 885 886 (SA/NT callers only)
Accessible free off-street parking is available. Bus services run nearby. Call 1300 311 108 or visit the Adelaide Metro web site for timetable information.