Strong Families, Strong Communities provides services to help keep children safe and well in their family, community and culture. It provides earlier help and support to families with medium-level risk factors and is for families with children of all ages, from pre-birth to adolescents. Services are delivered by 16 partner government and non-government organisations.
The program will help families to:
- build and sustain healthy family functioning
- strengthen the capacity of families to reach their potential
- encourage self-determination, and making it easier to ask for support
- strengthen connection to support in their community and culture.
It supports families with a range of challenges:
- Family based violence
- Alcohol and other drug use
- Mental or physical health concerns
- Housing stress (housing instability, suitability).
Strong Families, Strong Communities acknowledges the strengths of culture for Aboriginal and multicultural families, and supports families to build capacity and strengthen connections to community and culture as a valuable way to help children thrive.
The service supports families with children from pre-birth to 17 years of age and will be prioritised for:
- infants at risk
- young parents
- adolescents with complex trauma
- Aboriginal families with multiple and complex needs
- culturally and linguistically diverse families (CALD).
Professionals recommending or referring clients to Strong Families, Strong Communities
Professionals working with children and families are encouraged to promote the service with eligible clients with medium level safety concerns, and should contact SFSC service providers directly to refer families
Community and family self-referral
If you think you might need some support to keep your family safe and healthy, contact a provider in the list below.
Contact a SFSC service provider
Providers by region
- ac.care – Murray and Mallee, Limestone Coast and Adelaide Hills
- Anglicare SA – northern and southern Adelaide
- Centacare Catholic Country partnering with KWY – Eyre and Western
- City of Victor Harbor – Fleurieu & and Kangaroo Island
- Life Without Barriers – Far North, eastern Adelaide
- Northern Area Community and Youth Services – Barossa, Light and Lower North
- Uniting Care Wesley Bowden partnering with InComPro – northern and western Adelaide
- Uniting Country SA – Yorke and Mid North
- West Coast Youth and Community Support – Eyre and Western
For Aboriginal families:
- Aboriginal Family Support Services – Murray and Mallee, Yorke and Mid North
- KWY with The Australian Centre for Social Innovation (TACSI) – northern and western Adelaide, Limestone Coast
- KWY with Centacare – Far North
- Nunkuwarrin Yunti – southern Adelaide
For culturally and linguistically diverse families:
- Australian Refugee Association – northern Adelaide
- Multicultural Youth SA – western Adelaide
- Survivors of Torture and Trauma Assistance and Rehabilitation Service (STTARS) – northern Adelaide.