Contact us: +61 8 8226 8800

Department of Human Services

Yorketown fire - Nov 2019

On Wednesday 20 November 2019, a fire in the lower Yorke Peninsula of the state damaged properties, crops and livestock.

Recovery centre

If you have been affected by the fire and need information and support, you can attend the recovery centre at:

SYP Community Hub
33 Stansbury Road,

The centre is open:

  • Monday to Friday, 9.00 am to 5.00 pm
  • Saturday, 8.00 am to 12.00 noon.

The recovery centre replaces the Relief Centre at the Yorketown Town Hall, which will close at 6.00 pm on Saturday 7 December.

Recovery hotline

Recovery hotline

Phone 1800 302 787 if you have been affected by the fire and need information and support.

Local Recovery Coordinator

Local Recovery Coordinator

Ms Deb Richardson was appointed to the role of Local Recovery Coordinator for the Yorketown fires on 25 November.

The coordinator works with the community to understand its recovery needs and identify what other assistance may be required.

More information about the Local Recovery Coordinator.

Grants and financial assistance

Grants and financial assistance

South Australians directly affected by the Yorketown fire can apply for a number of grants or financial assistance.

Personal Hardship Emergency Grants

South Australians directly affected by the Yorketown fire can apply for one-off emergency grants to assist with immediate, temporary relief.

The Personal Hardship Emergency Grants of up to $700 per family (or $280 per individual adult ) can be used at the discretion of each recipient, but are intended to pay for essential items such as food, toiletries, clothing and medication.

People can apply for the grants in person at the Emergency Relief Centre at the Yorketown Town Hall. If approved, grant recipients will receive an ATM card so they can access cash funds.

This assistance is provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements.

Disaster Recovery Allowance and Payment

The Australian Government is offering assistance for those who have experienced a loss of income or have been adversely affected as a direct result of the Yorketown fire.

The fastest way to claim the payment or apply for the allowance is to call 180 22 66. Phone lines are open Monday to Friday from 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, and on Saturday or Sunday from 10.00 am to 4.00 pm.

Disaster Recovery Allowance

The Disaster Recovery Allowance is a short term payment to help you if a declared disaster directly affects your income. It is payable for a maximum of 13 weeks from the date you lose your income.

More information, including eligibility criteria is available on the Department of Human Services website.

Disaster Recovery Payment

The Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off payment to help you if a declared disaster significantly affects you.

If you’re eligible you will get $1,000 per adult and $400 for each child under 16 years of age.

More information, including eligibility criteria is available on the Department of Human Services website.

Drought Community Support Initiative

Primary producers in the Yorke Peninsula local government area may also be eligible for a one-off payment of $3000 from the Australian Government.

This payment is not just for landholders – you could be a farmer, farm worker, or supplier/contractor doing it tough because of the drought.

Apply for the Australian Government Drought Community Support Initiative on the St Vincent de Paul Society website.

Rural financial counselling service

Rural financial counselling service

Rural Business Support provides a free rural financial counselling service for primary producers or small rural businesses who are more than 75% reliant on primary production for income.

It can help you to make decisions and work through the implications of the current situation on your business.

Phone 1800 836 211 (freecall).

Financial counselling helpline

Financial counselling helpline

Financial counsellors can help South Australians in financial difficulty by providing information, support and advocacy.

This service is free, independent and confidential.

Call the National Debt Helpline on 1800 007 007 (free call).

Donations for the local community

Donations for the local community

A financial donation is the most helpful way that you can contribute to disaster-affected communities. It helps those impacted to buy exactly what they need and spend the funds within their local community.

If you would like to help those affected by the Yorketown fire, financial donations can be made online through St Vincent de Paul Society. All donations are tax deductible, with the money going directly to those affected.

The donation of goods is not encouraged as it can pose challenges to administer, store, distribute and dispose of the goods. It also might not meet the needs of people affected by the disaster.

Mental health and wellbeing resources

Mental health and wellbeing resources

People may experience grief or stress after a disaster like a bushfire. Sometimes the impact is obvious straight away, but often it is a slow process. Some impacts include shock, anger, depression, tension, irritability, anxiety or difficulty making decisions.

Find out more about mental health support services after a disaster:

Bushfires and water quality

Bushfires and water quality

Bushfires generate large amounts of ash and debris which have the potential to contaminate rainwater supplies. Although the presence of ash and debris in rainwater does not represent a health risk, it could affect colour, turbidity and taste.

The SA Health Water Quality team is available to answer questions during business hours on (08) 8226 7100.

Find out more about water quality after a fire:

SA Health information on bushfires and water quality

Guidance on use of rainwater tanks

SA Health information on rainwater

Recovery information from

Recovery information from

You will find more more recovery information here, such as:

  • document replacement
  • essential services (power, gas, water)
  • insurance claims
  • keeping safe
  • primary producers
  • volunteering to help
  • waste management.

State Government of South Australia © Copyright DHS[sm v5.4.7.1] .

Provided by:
SA Department for Human Services
Last Updated:
05 Jul 2018
Printed on:
07 Dec 2019
The DHS website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016