Early Intervention Research Directorate
The Early Intervention Research Directorate was established in response to the Royal Commission into the Child Protection System (2016 Nyland Report).
In March 2019, the State Government announced that – in line with EIRD’s research findings and recommendations – a new Child and Family Support System would be developed, including the establishment of a new Community and Family Services Division within the Department of Human Services.
The EIRD system reform strategy (PDF 420.1 KB) and the EIRD summary report of research findings (PDF 508.4 KB) underpinning it are both publicly available.
We have also published information shared at these workshops:
- Co-design phase two slides (PDF 2.7 MB)
- Co-design population projections and demographic information asset_summary_84320%.
This information is available in another format upon request. Email email@example.com or phone 8415 4136.
In September 2019, the Centre for Evidence and Implementation prepared A common elements approach to service provision for children and families (PDF 782.0 KB) on behalf of the Department of Human Services. The implementation of the common elements approach will be a key focus for partners in the Child and Family Support System in 2021.
In November 2019, we released the summary of the co-design findings and next steps (PDF 1.2 MB).
EIRD's function in the implementation of the new system includes:
- supporting agencies to implement the new system
- regular progress reporting to the Social Affairs Cabinet Committee
- monitoring and evaluating system performance
- participating in co-design of new service models
- maintaining a research program to inform service and system design
- work with the Office for Data Analytics to identify trends and changes in client needs
- supporting service providers with service refinement
- negotiating integration of service provision across systems
- ongoing partnership in the Vulnerable Children’s Project
- evaluating outcomes for children and families
- ongoing support to develop the research sector (including post-doctoral fellowships and hosting ISPCAN Adelaide Congress 2021)
- National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009–2020
- Nyland Royal Commission
- The South Australian Government’s response: The Life They Deserve (PDF 15.6 MB)
- EIRD Charter (PDF 442.5 KB)
- Getting it Right Early (PDF 11.5 MB) - SA Government’s Prevention and Early Intervention Strategy for Child Abuse and Neglect, 2018–2019
- South Australian Department for Child Protection
Director, Early Intervention Research Directorate
Department of Human Services