Early Intervention Research Directorate
The Early Intervention Research Directorate was established in response to the Royal Commission into the Child Protection System (2016 Nyland Report).
In March 2019, the State Government announced that – in line with EIRD’s research findings and recommendations – a new Child and Family Intensive Support System would be developed, including the establishment of a new Intensive Support Unit within the Department of Human Services.
The EIRD system reform strategy (PDF 420.1 KB) and the EIRD summary report of research findings (PDF 508.4 KB) underpinning it are both publicly available.
Also, a media release from the government: Services to be consolidated into new intensive support system for at-risk children and families.
EIRD will soon be changing its name to better reflect its function in the implementation of the new system, which includes:
- supporting agencies to implement the new system
- regular progress reporting to the Social Affairs Cabinet Committee
- monitoring and evaluating system performance
- participating in co-design of new service models
- maintaining a research program to inform service and system design
- work with the Office for Data Analytics to identify trends and changes in client needs
- supporting service providers with service refinement
- negotiating integration of service provision across systems
- ongoing partnership in the Vulnerable Children’s Project
- evaluating outcomes for children and families
- ongoing support to develop the research sector (including post-doctoral fellowships and hosting ISPCAN Adelaide Congress 2020)
New web content will be developed shortly.
- National Framework for Protecting Australia’s Children 2009–2020
- Nyland Royal Commission
- The South Australian Government’s response: The Life They Deserve (PDF 15.6 MB)
- EIRD Charter (PDF 442.5 KB)
- Getting it Right Early (PDF 11.5 MB) - SA Government’s Prevention and Early Intervention Strategy for Child Abuse and Neglect, 2018–2019
- South Australian Department for Child Protection
Director, Early Intervention Research Directorate
Department of Human Services