Contact us: 131 299

Department of Human Services

South Australian Housing Trust

Running a business from home policy

Housing SA may give approval to tenants to run a business from their home. This includes any work or activity that takes place in the home that the tenant, or someone in their household, earns an income from.

This policy sets out:

  • when Housing SA gives or withdraws approval
  • how it may affect a tenant’s rent
  • what may happen if a tenant is running a business from home without approval.

Applying to run a business from home

Tenants must get written approval from Housing SA before anyone in their household starts running a business from home.

Housing SA will approve the business if the tenant meets all of the below conditions:

  • the business doesn’t disturb the peace, comfort or privacy of neighbours
  • they don’t advertise the business on the property
  • they don’t use any part of the property as an industrial type workshop - eg mechanic
  • the business doesn’t breach any conditions of their lease agreement, also known as the Conditions of Tenancy
  • the business complies with local council regulations and any other laws that apply
  • they get appropriate insurance cover.

Rent and income earned from a home-based business

The tenant tells Housing SA about any income they earn from running the business.

If the tenant pays market rent, the income earned won’t affect their rent.

If the tenant pays a subsidised rent, they must provide proof of their household’s income including income earned from the business. Housing SA recalculates the rent in line with the Rent policy.

Running a business that hasn’t been approved or doesn’t comply

If a tenant runs a business from home without Housing SA’s approval, or it doesn’t comply with Housing SA’s conditions, it’s a breach of their lease agreement.

When visiting a tenant, Housing SA checks if a business:

  • is being carried out at the property
  • complies with Housing SA’s conditions.

If Housing SA believes a business is in breach of a tenant’s lease agreement it may:

  • tell the tenant to stop the business
  • review the rent in line with the Rent policy
  • give notice to the tenant to address the breach of the lease agreement
  • apply to the South Australian Civil and Administrative Tribunal to end the tenancy if the breach isn’t addressed.

Related information

Controlling documents

This policy is based on and complies with:

Related policies and other documents

Date this policy applies from

21 May 2019

Version number


The online version of the policy is the approved and current version. There is no guarantee that any printed copies are current.

State Government of South Australia © Copyright DHS [sm v5.4.7.1] .

Provided by:
SA Department for Human Services
Last Updated:
05 Jul 2018
Printed on:
19 Jun 2019
The DHS website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016