Department of Human Services

Document replacement

Birth or marriage certificate

If you have lost documents in the fires, the fees associated with replacement copies will be waived. You can access a priority service to replace:

  • birth
  • marriage
  • change of name certificates.

The Registrars of Births, Deaths and Marriages in any state will replace certificates free of charge. Free replacement certificates are restricted to documents for you and your immediate family.

Replace certificates after a disaster

Drivers licence or permit or Proof of Age card

Service SA will waive administration fees for drivers licences and proof of age cards. You will need to provide:

  • Name
  • Date of birth
  • Confirmation of your residential and postal address
  • Your licence number (if known).

Phone Service SA on 13 10 84 or go to a Service SA Customer Service Centre.


You may be eligible for a free replacement passport if yours was lost or damaged in a bushfire.

Australian Passport Replacement - Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade
Phone the Department of Foreign Affairs & Trade on 131 232.

If you have problems producing evidence about the loss of your property, you can ask for a letter of support. Phone the South Australian Recovery Hotline on 1800 302 787 or visit your local Recovery Centre.

Prescription for medicine

If you are a resident or firefighter affected by the Kangaroo Island and Cudlee Creek bushfires and don’t have access to your medicines or prescriptions, contact a local GP (or other health practitioner involved in your care).

If it is not possible for you to obtain a prescription, go to a pharmacy and explain your situation and the medicines you need. The pharmacist will see if you are eligible for an emergency supply of your medicine without a prescription.

Medicines for people affected by the Kangaroo Island and Cudlee Creek bushfires (SA Health)


If you have banknotes that have been damaged in the fires, you can submit a damaged banknote claim. The Reserve Bank will determine the value of the damaged banknotes and reimburse you the assessed amount. This may be less than the face value of the banknote/s.

Redeeming damaged banknotes

Related information — recovering fire-damaged records

National Archives has advice on how to salvage different types of material after a fire

Page last updated : 19 Feb 2020

State Government of South Australia © Copyright DHS .[sm v5.4.7.1]