Department of Human Services

Natural resources and agriculture

Agricultural losses

PIRSA is assessing agricultural losses at Cudlee Creek and Kangaroo Island.

A 24-hour hotline number is available for animal owners seeking urgent assistance and information.

Phone 1800 255 556
Visit the PIRSA website

Animal welfare

Rescue and treatment of injured wildlife or domestic animals - Phone SAVEM (South Australian Veterinary Emergency Management) on 0477 055 233

RSPCA - Phone 1300 477 722

Fodder, agistment, accessing water resources, donations - Phone Livestock SA on 8297 2299

Horse SA bushfire information and contacts

Help in managing livestock, including information on containment feeding – Natural Resources Adelaide and Mt Lofty Ranges

Tips on helping wildlife affected by bushfires – Department for Environment and Water

Local vetsTelephone
Mount Barker Veterinary Clinic 8391 1404
Murray Bridge Veterinary Clinic 8531 4000
Meadows Veterinary Clinic 8388 3455
Willunga Veterinary Service 8556 2075

Windarra Park Veterinary Clinic

8388 1200 or after hours on 8378 3712

Water for livestock

See information on the 'Water Supply' page.

Burnt animals and destruction assistance

The Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) and PIRSA provide advice on waste management, including the disposal of animal carcasses.

EPA guidance on the on-farm disposal of farm animals

EPA guidance on the on-farm disposal of farm animals (PDF 58.3 KB)

EPA guidance on preferred methods of disposal, taking into account local water supplies, and your insurance

EPA advice on livestock disposal. Phone 8204 2004

PIRSA Hotline – Assessment Request. Phone 1800 255 556

Livestock disposal services may be provided by these groups. Arrangement for this is between the contractor and livestock owner.

Thym Bitter - based in Gawler 0448 882 572
Chris Clothier - based in Strathalbyn 0407 610 261
Paul Jolly - based in Mt Barker 0417 809 966
Michael (MJD services) - based in Birdwood 0412 120 557
Ivan Noel - based in Gawler 0421 154 528

Soils, erosion, water and infrastructure

Simple ways to reduce erosion risk post-fire, manage soils, prevent contamination of farm dams and more - Landscape SA Hills and Fleurieu

Weed management

Problem weeds post-fire and how to control them - Landscape SA Hills and Fleurieu

Managing a rural property after a bushfire - Landscape SA Hills and Fleurieu

Phone Landscape SA Hills and Fleurieu on  8336 0901 (Black Hill)

Phone Landscape SA Murraylands and Riverland on 8391 7500 (Mt Barker).

Page last updated : 08 Jul 2020

State Government of South Australia © Copyright DHS .[sm v5.4.7.1]