Department of Human Services

Grants and Financial Assistance

South Australians directly affected by the December 2019 bushfire in the City of Playford can apply for financial assistance.

Re-establishment Grants up to $10,000 for Bushfire Residents

Eligible South Australians who are uninsured and have had their principal residence damaged by bushfires can apply for grants of up to $10,000 to help them re-establish their homes.

The payments can be used to help repair bushfire-damaged homes or replace essential household items.

​The payments are available only to those persons who meet the following criteria:

  • Their primary residence has been damaged
  • They meet an income test
  • Their losses are not being met by insurance, compensation or other assistance measures
  • The structure/dwelling component of the grant can only be paid to owner-occupiers
  • The essential household and personal item component may be paid to owner-occupiers or tenants.

People can apply for these grants at the Emergency Relief Centres at Highbury and Mt Barker.

​Assistance is being provided under the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements. The SA Housing Authority will administer the grants under its Emergency Relief arrangements.

For more information on eligibility please visit a relief centre or phone the SA Recovery Hotline on 1800 302 787 (8.00 am to 8.00 pm).

Disaster Recovery Payment

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off payment to help you if a declared disaster significantly affects you.

If you’re eligible you will get $1,000 per adult and $400 for each child under 16 years of age.

More information on the Disaster Recovery Payment, including eligibility criteria is available on the Department of Human Services website or call 180 22 66.

Page last updated : 28 Dec 2019

State Government of South Australia © Copyright DHS .[sm v5.4.7.1]