Contact us: +61 8 8226 8800

Department of Human Services

Kangaroo Island fire recovery

From 20 December 2019, fires occurred on Kangaroo Island during catastrophic conditions

Recovery centre

A recovery centre is open for people affected by the fires on Kangaroo Island.

Community Health Centre
12 Jubilee Avenue

Open 7.00 am to 7.00 pm every day.

Parndana Recovery Centre is CLOSED on the public holiday for Australia Day, Monday 27 January 2020. The Recovery Centre re-opens on Tuesday 28 January 2020 at 7.00 am.

Recovery Hotline and Local Coordinator

Recovery Hotline and Local Coordinator

Phone 1800 302 787 if you have been affected by the fire and need information and support.

Local Recovery Coordinator

Mike Williams was appointed Local Recovery Coordinator for the Kangaroo Island fires on 5 January 2020.

He will work closely with the affected community to help them understand their recovery needs and identify what additional supports are required.

You can contact Mike Williams, Local Recovery Coordinator on 0418 818 522, and also Jennifer Tretheway, Local Recovery Officer on 0427 594 220.

Kangaroo Island contacts

Kangaroo Island contacts

Children's wellbeing

Back to school, uniforms, etc.

Kangaroo Island Community Education (KICE)
Phone 8559 6068

Kangaroo Island Children's Services
Phone 8553 2436

Agriculture and wildlife

Get help to rebuild fencing

Phone Greg on 0427 616 323 or Ann on 0429 349 980

Wire wrapper - for rolling up burnt fences (Agriculture KI)
Phone 0428 716 330

Fodder donation/administration

Livestock SA
Phone 8297 2299

​Agriculture KI (AgKI)
Phone 0428 716 330

Natural Resource Management

KI Bushfires Recovery - Natural Resources Kangaroo Island
Phone 8553 4444

National Parks and Wildlife Service (NPWS)
Phone 8553 4444 or Flinders Chase National Park on 8553 4450


Phone SAVEM (South Australian Veterinary Emergency Management) on 0477 055 233

KI Wildlife Network Phone 0477 334 898


Rural business financial counselling

Rural Business Support
Phone 8364 2577

KI Business and Brand Alliance


Centrelink - Commonwealth Department of Human Services


General enquiries

Telstra - bushfire support
Phone 13 22 00 or Telstra Business on 13 2000

Use payphones for free

The Telstra payphone network around the country is currently free for local, national and standard mobile calls. Telstra will also be allowing free use of the Telstra Air Wi-Fi network at locations where payphones are equipped to provide this.

People affected by fires

Anyone affected by fires, including people who have lost their houses, can register for a Telstra assistance package. Phone 13 22 03.

CFS volunteers

Telstra is offering to cover the cost of volunteer firefighter’s mobile phone bills over December and January. To register for this, phone 13 22 03.

Local Council

Kangaroo Island Council
Phone 8553 4500

Household waste and bin collection

Some kerbside collections may be affected by fire damage and road closures.

You can take waste to the Kangaroo Island Resource Recovery Centre (KIRRC), 1207 North Coast Road, 9.30 am to 4.30 pm, open 7 days.

During the recovery period the Fleurieu Regional Waste Authority will provide free replacement of kerbside bins that were damaged in the fires.

Phone Fleurieu Regional Waste Authority on 8555 7405

South Australian Accommodation and Tourism

SA Tourism Commission (SATC)

Kangaroo Island Tourism, Food, Wine and Beverage Association

Grants and financial assistance

Grants and financial assistance

Re-establishment Grants up to $10,000 for Bushfire Residents

Eligible South Australians who:

  • are uninsured, and
  • have had their principal residence (their home) damaged by bushfire

can apply for grants of up to $10,000 to help them re-establish their homes.

The payments can be used to help repair bushfire-damaged homes or replace essential household items.

The payments are available only to those persons who meet the following criteria:

  • Their primary residence has been damaged
  • They meet an income test
  • Their losses are not being met by insurance, compensation or other assistance measures
  • They are owner-occupiers (for the structure/dwelling component of the grant)
  • They are owner-occupiers or tenants (for the essential household and personal item component of the grant).

Assistance is being provided under the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements. The SA Housing Authority will administer the grants under its Emergency Relief arrangements.

Phone the SA Recovery Hotline on 1800 302 787 (8.00 am to 8.00 pm).

Financial assistance from the SA Bushfire Appeal

If you have been directly affected by the fires in:

  • Cudlee Creek
  • Kangaroo Island

you may be able to receive financial assistance from the SA Bushfire Appeal.

Make an application to the State Emergency Relief Fund.

Recovery grants for small business

A grant of up to $50,000 is available for eligible small businesses affected by bushfires for costs associated with clean-up, restoration and rebuilding.

The grant is designed to assist with the immediate costs of beginning to rebuild and recover and is provided under the jointly funded Commonwealth–State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

Visit the Supporting Business in South Australia website to learn more about eligibility criteria and to apply.

Phone the SA Department for Innovation and Skills on 1300 142 820

Recovery grants for primary producers

A grant of $75,000 is available for eligible primary producers affected by the bushfires.

The grant is designed to assist with the immediate costs of beginning to rebuild and recover and is provided under the jointly funded Commonwealth–State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).

Visit the PIRSA website for eligibility criteria and to apply

Phone the PIRSA Recovery Hotline on 1800 931 314

Disaster Recovery Allowance

The Disaster Recovery Allowance is a short-term payment to help you if a declared disaster directly affects your income. It is payable for a maximum of 13 weeks from the date you lose your income.

The Department of Human Services website has more information on the Disaster Recovery Allowance, including eligibility criteria.

Disaster Recovery Payment

The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment is a one-off payment to help you if a declared disaster significantly affects you.

If you’re eligible you will get $1,000 per adult and $400 for each child under 16 years of age.

The Department of Human Services website has more information on the Disaster Recovery Payment, including eligibility criteria.
Phone 180 22 66

Red Cross Emergency Grants

If your primary place of residence (your home) has been destroyed in a bushfire, you can apply for a Red Cross Emergency Grant.

Grants will be open until 30 April 2020.

Please see the Red Cross website for more information and steps on how to apply.

Tax implications

For income tax implications related to receiving grants, contact the Australian Taxation Office.

Agricultural losses

Agricultural losses

PIRSA is assessing agricultural losses at Cudlee Creek and Kangaroo Island.

Animal owners needing urgent assistance and information can phone 1800 255 556 (24 hours)

The Department of Primary Industries and Regions SA (PIRSA) is assessing agricultural losses.

Bushfire-affected animal carcasses

The Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) and PIRSA provide advice on waste management, including the disposal of animal carcasses.

EPA guidance on safe disposal of animal carcasses on Kangaroo Island

EPA guidance on safe disposal of animal carcasses on Kangaroo Island (PDF 289.3 KB)

EPA guidance on preferred methods of disposal, taking into account local water supplies, and your insurance

EPA advice on livestock disposal. Phone 8204 2004

PIRSA Hotline - Assessment Request. Phone 1800 255 556 (24 hours)

Wildlife - how to help

Wildlife - how to help

Koalas and other wildlife affected by fires on Kangaroo Island must be managed locally and not removed from the island.

Once animals leave the island, they cannot come back.

If you find injured wildlife

Phone SAVEM (South Australian Veterinary Emergency Management) on 0477 055 233

Kangaroo Island Wildlife Network emergency number: 0477 334 898

How to help KI wildlife

Australia Post

Australia Post

Deliveries have been impacted in the following postcodes:

  • 5220
  • 5223

Some local post offices have been closed until further notice:

  • Kingscote
  • Parndana
  • Vivonne Bay

Updates will be published on the Australia Post website.

SA Power Networks

SA Power Networks

Faults and emergencies
phone 13 13 66
SA Power Networks

Water supply

Water supply

People who are SA Water customers

If you are experiencing mains water outages, phone the SA Water Customer Care Centre on 1300 729 283.

Water Replenishment (as a result of preparing for, or fighting, fires)

If the CFS has used your water to fight fires, please:

  1. complete the KI Essential Water Replenishment Form (PDF 70.1 KB)
  2. email the form to Jen Trethewey, Kangaroo Island Council at

If you have questions, or need support with water supply, Mount Barker CFS Headquarters (region 1) on 8391 1866 during office hours.


Information on bushfires and rainwater quality

State Government of South Australia © Copyright DHS[sm v5.4.7.1] .

Provided by:
SA Department for Human Services
Last Updated:
05 Jul 2018
Printed on:
23 Jan 2020
The DHS website is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia Licence. © Copyright 2016