Department of Human Services

Asbestos and other hazardous materials

Asbestos removal

Asbestos removal

    About asbestos

    Asbestos was a popular building material used widely in Australia until the 1980s. It was banned in 2003. If your home was constructed before this date, it may contain components with asbestos fibres. When undisturbed, asbestos does not pose a health hazard. However, when disturbed, asbestos particles will become airborne and are serious health risk.

    If you suspect your property may contain asbestos, the debris must be disposed of safely and securely. Contractors must only enter the site in full personal protective equipment and all debris must be securely bagged and transported in a sealed tray. Not all landfills are equipped to accept and dispose of debris that contains asbestos.

    Often the surrounding soil will be scrapped to a depth of 10mm. Hard services such as concrete slabs and driveways will not absorb asbestos particles and can be cleaned.

    If you are insured, and you have any questions regarding the removal of debris from a property, speak with your insurer.

    Advice and information to help you manage asbestos.

    Household chemicals and paint

    Household chemicals and paint

    Materials like paint, pesticides, herbicides, poly-pipe and fertilisers can be collected from your fire-affected property free of charge.

    Register the type and amount of material with Green Industries SA.

    Do not decant or mix chemicals, and keep them in the original containers. If you know what chemicals are in the container and the label is not readable, please label the container to assist with identification.

    Managing hazardous chemicals, plastic dripline and irrigation and CCA treated timber (‘permapine’)

    You can also take these chemicals to the following locations for free:

    North Plympton

    181 Morphett Road
    North Plympton
    Opening hours: Monday to Friday 7.00 am–4.00 pm, Saturday 8.00 am–3.00 pm, Sunday 10.00 am–3.00pm


    6 Newton Road
    Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8.00 am–3.00 pm

    Edinburgh North

    Gate 3, Bellchambers Road
    Edinburgh North
    Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8.00 am–4.00 pm, Weekends 9.00 am–3.00 pm


    32 Scott Creek Road
    Opening hours: Monday to Friday 7.30 am–4.00 pm, Weekends 9.00 am–4.00 pm. Closed on days of extreme fire risk.

    Personal protective equipment

    When handling burnt or damaged chemicals and containers, make sure you use protective clothing to avoid contact with chemicals, even common household or farm chemicals.


    • gloves
    • eye protection
    • face mask
    • suitable footwear.

    Poly-pipe and plastic drip line

    Poly-pipe and plastic drip line

    The South Australian Government will organise for drop off locations and collections of poly-pipe and plastic irrigation hose and drip lines.

    For now, separate out your poly pipe and drip line from your other waste and store it on-site.

    Options for drop off and collections will be announced through the State Recovery Office and on the Green Industries SA website.

    Managing hazardous chemicals, plastic dripline and irrigation and CCA treated timber (‘permapine’)

    Permapine (CCA-treated timber)

    Permapine (CCA-treated timber)

    Handling fire-damaged permapine (CCA timber)

    Replacing fences or other structures made from permapine – timber treated with copper chrome arsenate (CCA) – must only be done using safe handling procedures.

    Safe handling procedures for permapine:

    • make sure you wear personal protective equipment, including mask, goggles and gloves
    • bag permapine ash in heavy-duty plastic bags and seal each bag
    • store the bagged ash with other permapine posts and sleepers
    • store permapine ash and permapine timber separately, away from non-treated timber, organics or crops. Mixed storage will result in the entire amount being treated as hazardous
    • do not chip or mulch permapine timber, burn it or use it on-site as ground cover
    • store permapine timber on a waterproof lining. Do not leave it in contact with soil
    • permapine timber must be disposed of through a landfill licensed to handle chemical waste only.

    Free disposal vouchers for timber (Cudlee Creek)

    If you are affected by the Cudlee Creek fire, and have permapine posts and logs (not ash), you can access free disposal vouchers from the Recovery Centre at Lobethal.

    The opening hours and location for drop-off is printed on the vouchers. No other waste materials will be accepted.

    Permapine (CCA Timber) Posts - Free Disposal Vouchers

    Landfill sites that can accept permapine timber and ash:

    Southern Waste ResourceCo
    McLaren Vale depot
    Phone: 08 8327 3914

    Integrated Waste Services Dublin
    Phone: 08 8243 2644

    Cleanaway Inkerman Landfill
    Prime Road, Inkerman
    Phone: 08 8867 1355

    Permapine (CCA timber) waste - storage and management (EPA) (PDF 186 KB).

    Managing hazardous chemicals, plastic dripline and irrigation and permapine (CCA-treated timber) (Green Industries SA)

    Page last updated : 17 Jan 2020

    State Government of South Australia © Copyright DHS .[sm v5.4.7.1]