In South Australia, organisations providing services to children and young people must, by law, provide child safe environments.
Organisations providing services to children and young people must:
- have child safe environments policy(ies) in place and at a minimum, review their policy(ies) once every 5 years
- meet Working with Children Check obligations, and
- lodge a child safe environments compliance statement with the Department of Human Services and lodge a new statement each time policy(ies) are reviewed and updated.
Lodging a child safe environments compliance statement is free and simple
After registering on the child safe environments system, you will be required to answer a range of questions about your child safe policies and upload your policies for assessment.
These answers and documents become evidence for your compliance statement.
You have six months to complete your child safe environments compliance statement.
A penalty of up to $10,000 may apply if your organisation does not lodge a compliance statement.
Who must lodge a child safe environments compliance statement
All organisations providing services to children and young people must lodge a compliance statement. This includes (but is not limited to):
- allied health practitioners
- accommodation or residential services for children (including school camp providers)
- services provided by religious organisations
- childcare or child-minding services
- coaching or tuition services
- disability services for children
- commercial services provided directly to children (including face painters, photographers)
- transport services for children
- any other service or activity declared by section 7 of the regulations to be child-related work.
This includes state authorities, non-government organisations, sole traders and people working in partnerships.
Section 6 of the Child Safety (Prohibited Persons) Act 2016 tells you which organisations are included.
Lodge your child safe environments compliance statement
Learn how to lodge your child safe environments statement online.
On this site
- Child Safe Environments training
- Child safe environments compliance statements
- Lodging your compliance statement
- Creating a Policy
- What goes in your policy
- Resources for creating a child safe environments policy
- National Principles for child safe organisations
- Developing a Code of Conduct