- Child safe environments
- Safer Family Services
Parenting and Family Support Program
Parenting and Family Support team
We help South Australian parents and caregivers understand child and adolescent development. This helps them lay strong foundations for their children and young people.
We share workshops and resources through:
- children’s centres
- libraries, and
- community spaces.
About our workshops
Our workshops are relaxed and informal. We can present them face-to-face or by webinar.
Parents and caregivers get information and simple, practical strategies based on the latest parenting research and information from Parenting SA. We include videos, activities, and time for parents and caregivers to talk in small groups.
All our workshops are free.
Face-to-face workshops are around 2 to 3 hours (including a break). Webinars are 1 hour.
Each workshop and webinar supports your parenting journey by:
- Building an understanding of children and young people
- Exploring everyday parenting to build and maintain positive connections
- Offering positive approaches to guiding behaviour
- Helping find additional support if needed.
‘My Child and Me’ is a two-part workshop for parents of children aged 3–12 years
- Brain and child development
- Understanding behaviour
- Parenting styles
- Positive approaches to guiding children’s behaviour.
‘Living with young people’ is a two-part workshop for parents of teenagers aged 12–18 years
- Adolescent development
- Staying connected to build your relationship
- What about conflict?
- Positive approaches to guiding behaviour.
Workshops developed to suit specific groups
- ‘Parenting in Australia’ for multicultural families
- ‘Being a dad’ for male caregivers
- ‘Young parents’ for caregivers under the age of 23.
Additional workshops are available on certain topics
- ‘Cyber Safety’
- ‘Coping skills’ (Resilience)
- ‘Growing and learning in the family’ (Play)
- Parenting through Covid-19.
About the Program
The State Government is committed to a strong plan to see every South Australia child grow up safe and healthy with a prosperous future.
The Parenting and Family Support Program offers parents and caregivers a range of support options to suit their parenting needs.
The Community and Family Services Division —that includes the Parenting and Family Support Program— is part of the government’s broader child protection reforms. The division was created in July 2019, in response to the Child Protection Systems Royal Commission Report (2016).
Contact the Parenting and Family Support Program
Contact the team to book a workshop delivered in your local space, or to find out where a workshop is being held near you.